The borough of Queens is the most ethnically diverse community in the world, with two major airports serving to connect New York City and the global community. The 3rd Annual Queens World Film Festival appreciates this diversity by promoting both local and international filmmakers positioning Queens as a destination for both filmmakers and film lovers.
The Queens World Film Festival returns to the Museum of the Moving Image with an opening night program featuring international short films from Italy, Belgium, and Australia as well as the work of Queens filmmakers. Special guests and honorees include Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer, who will be recognized for his years of service to Queens and greater New York City. Actress and 70’s icon, Karen Black will be honored for her unique contributions to cinema and her enduring commitment to aspiring filmmakers.
Opening Night Films Include
– Heads Up (Narrative Short: Brooklyn USA) Long-time partners in crime, love each other to death.
– Lonely Eros (Narrative Short: Belgium) An emotion is established, it pulls you in and may not let go.
– Le tette di una diciottenne (Narrative Short: Italy) Behind the vulgar manner of a Roman taxi driver lies a humanity that suffers.
– Planet Utero (Animation: Queens, USA) In a far off galaxy a young girl escapes from a dystopian suburban planet.
– At the Formal (Experimental: Australia) Pack mentality and sanctioned depravity of the high school formal.
– Pollicino (Narrative Short: Italy) finding the way back home can be an odyssey
– Silent River (Narrative Short: Croatia) Gregor and Vali must escape, yet there is mutual distrust. In the end only hope is left.
Awards will be presented to narratives, documentaries animation and LGBT films. The presentation of the Crystal Globes will be the centerpiece of Closing Night, with our award-winning films scheduled for encore screenings on Sunday March 10 at the Secret Theatre.
Purchase Festival Passes – HERE
March 5-10, 2013
The 3rd Annual Queens World Film Festival
OPENING NIGHT @ The Museum for the Moving Image – TICKETS
WITH SCREENINGS @ The Jackson Heights Cinema, The Secret Theatre, Renaissance Charter School, P.S. 069
Sponsored by Kaufman Astoria Studios, Amalgamated Bank and Manhattan Portage
With a Grant From 2013 Queens Council on the Arts /Department of Cultural Affairs
About The Queens World Film Festival
QWFF celebrates the independent filmmaking spirit by screening innovative and challenging from around the world and around the corner. QWFF includes an annual festival, industry panels, special screening events, and popular youth-oriented educational initiatives. Year round screenings provide ongoing opportunities for QWFF filmmakers, past and present. 2013 Award winners will be eligible for encore screenings at the Secret Theatre as part of the extremely popular LIC Arts Open and this year’s LGBT films will enjoy an encore screening as part of the Queens Pride free film series.